Work under NAFTA in Canada

Are you a citizen of U.S. / Mexico & you are a Trader/Investor/Professional/Business Visitor/Intra-company Transferee? Now you can work under NAFTA in Canada! Please read the below information to find out more details.

If you are a citizen of the U.S or Mexico and you are a trader, or investor, or professional or business visitor, or intra-company transferee:

  • you are exempted from LMIA[1] requirements;
  • you can enter Canada as Temporary Foreign Workers under LMIA-Exempted Work Permit;
  • you can become a Permanent Resident in Canada after 12 months work experience in Canada;
  • Because you are exempted from LMIA, Canadian employers are more interested to hire workers from the U.S. or Mexico like you.

This applies to those professionals whose occupations are included in the NAFTA list of more than 60 occupations. This agreement speeds up their application process by allowing issuance of work permits at the port of entry (i.e., at the Canadian border). Professionals can also apply for a work permit at the Canadian visa post in their home country before coming to Canada.

What the Requirements and steps to work under NAFTA in Canada?

  • A foreign worker must be from the United States or Mexico;
  • A foreign worker occupation must be in the NAFTA professional occupation list (there are more than 60 professional occupations listed under the NAFTA, including accountants, architects, computer systems analysts, economists, engineers, foresters, health care and medical professionals, hotel managers, scientists and others);
  • Education and qualifications of Temporary Foreign Worker. Must provide evidence that they meet the minimum educational requirements or have alternative credentials. Evidence includes copies of academic degrees, diplomas, professional licences and accreditation or registration with professional associations;
  • be signed by both parties;
  • name of your company/business;
  • details of the position must be written in the job offer including the job title, duties, duration of employment, salary or wage, and educational requirements.
  • Apply for a work permit at the port of entry or consulate;
  • Extending a foreign worker’s work permit up to 9 years and before expiry of each work permit;
  • Apply to become a Canadian Permanent Resident under Express Entry Program after at least 12 months’ work experience in Canada.

[1] A Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA) is a document that an employer in Canada may need to get before hiring a foreign worker. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the job.

The TFWP lets employers hire foreign workers to fill temporary labour and skill shortages. A positive LMIA will show that there is a need for the foreign worker to fill the job you are offering and that there is no Canadian worker available to do the job.

Visit for further information online on how to work under NAFTA in Canada